Department of Botany is an integral part of Khallikote College, a more than a century old premier institution of the state of Orissa. This prestigious institution started functioning from the year 1887, Botany as a subject at undergraduate level started from 1944. Postgraduate teaching Botany began in 1981. The department introduced a challenging subject like ‘Biotechnology as a special paper at the M.Sc level in the year 2000. Subsequently a proposal was sent for opening ‘Biotechnology’ courses in the institution. As sequel to such attempts the Government of Orissa granted permission to open self-financing courses like Postgraduate Diploma in Biotechnology and Masters Degree in Biotechnology in 2001 and 2002 respectively. From 1st August , 2021, the department of Botany and Biotechnology which was under Berhampur University, Berhampur started functioning under Khallikote Unitary University vied Notification No. 20038/HE dated 11.05.2021 of the Govt. of Odisha, Higher Education Department.
Though not very old, this department flourished within a short period and now is considered to be one of the leading departments of the state of Orissa with excellent academic achievements and has one of the best infrastructural facilities in the Biotechnology.
The department of Botany started as a part of the main building of the college in the year 1944. In due course a separate life science wing was created for the Botany and Zoology Departments. Biotechnology wing was added as a new dimension within the available space in the year 2002.
The department is the only one in Orissa which was awarded Star College Status in Life Science by DBT, New Delhi in 2009.
NAAC in 2003 adjudged the department as the best department in the college during its grading in relation to staff, academic curriculum, and infrastructure &laboratory facilities. The UGC team for CPE-I during its inspection in 2011-12 opined that the department has utilized the grant in a best manner to develop the infrastructure in the department. Further the UGC autonomy extension team in 2015 mentioned in their report that it is one of the best maintained departments in the college and have the equipments in working order.
The Department presently offers the following courses
|Course Offered Strength||Strength|
|Undergraduate Courses in Botany
Honor’s in Botany
GE in Botany
Ethics and Value
Environmental Sciences (Ancillary) all science and commerce students
|Postgraduate Courses in Botany||16|
|Postgraduate Courses in Biotechnology||24|
|M.Phil. Course in Botany||08|
Name: Dr Sasmita Kumari Behura
Designation: Assistant Professor
Guest Faculty: –
- Sri Sauranshu Jena
- Ms. Niharika Mahapatra
- Ms. Snigdha Rani Sasmal
- Dr. Sarita P.Nayak
- Ms. Sudipta Mahapatra
Other Supporting staff
- Sri Banabas Behera, Laboratory Attendant
- P. Pabitra K. Burma, Gardner ( On Deputation to Account Section)
- Sri Panchanana , Gardner (Out Sourcing)
- Sibani Pradhan, Attendant (Out Sourcing)
- Bhagaban Patra, Peon
Department of Botany is having the following infrastructure facilities to cater the needs of both general Botany and Biotechnology students
- Lecture Halls : 5
- Seminar Hall and Library (Conference) : 1
- Laboratories : Central Laboratory : 1
P.G Laboratories : 2
U.G Laboratories : 2
- Unit : 1
- Staff Room : 1
- Head of the Department’s Chamber : 1
- Tissue Culture Room : 1
- Inoculation Room : 1
- Botanical Garden : 2 Units
- Store : 1
- Toilet : 2
- G &M. Phil. Lab : 1
- Microbiology Lab : 1
- Central Instrumentation Facility : 1
Three major projects and a number of minor projects have been operated in the department
A Major project has been submitted to DBT, Govt. of Orissa.
The teaching faculty is carrying out a research project in B.Sc (Botany Hons), M.Sc. (Botany), and M Phil (Botany) on Stress Biology, Algology, Ethnobotany, Water Analysis, Biochemistry and Enzymology.
Two students are enrolled for M.Phil dissertation in the year 2021-22.
Other activities of the Department
- Demonstration of skill development by Pidilite Co. on 17.09.2018.
- Demonstration of “In-vitro Fertilisation, its future aspects in research and employability of students on embryology training by Santan-IVF” on dt.06-10-2018.
- EDP programme by Ganapati Sabat Foundation on Green Skill development of students at vill. Nimigaon, Hinjilicut on dt. 28-10-2019.
- Awareness programme by Himalaya Drug Ltd on skin disorder on 26.09.2012 talk by Dr.I.Panda, DMS.
- Open House Programme by Open House , Hyderabad -2010 to train the students to LINUX / OPENHOUSE free software instead of Microsoft or Windows.
- A mobilization programme for entrepreneurship development in collaboration with TSCK, Berhampur, for biotechnology students.
|Ms. Adysa Adyadarsini||PGT||OAVS|
|Mr. Suresh Kumar Behera||SSB|
|Mr. Pabitra Sabar||SSB|
|Mr. Debasis behera||UBI PO|
|Mr. Bikash Pradhan||TGT|
|Ms. Subhashree Patro||Jc Clerk|
|Ms. Ranjita Mishra||Scientist-C|
|Ms. Nirali Biswal||ASO|
|Dr. (Mrs.) Lichita Patro||OES-I|
|Dr. (Mrs.) Manna Millan||OES-I|
|Dr. Milimita Padhi||OES-II|
|Dr. Biren Prasad Saha||Scientist||ILS|
|Dr. Binod Sabat||Scientist|
|Mr.Siba Pattanaik||Bank Officer|
|Dr (Mrs.) I.P.Mishra||OAS|
|Smita Mohanty||NII||New Delhi|
|Sweta Pani||SUM Hops.|
|Mahesh K.Sahu||SUM Hosp.|
|K.Venugopal Rao||CP Group|
|Mrs. Priyanka padhy||Singapore|
|Mihir Ranjan Sahu||Gennova|
|Girish bala Mahapatro||Stanford||USA|
|P.shiva Sankar||Ph.D Scholar||SU|
|Loknath mahapatra||United Brewaries|
|Tapas R. Sahu||INTAS|